To build athletic fields and develop programs for the children of Chicago’s North Lawndale and East Garfield Park communities. Through rugby and other sports, we will expand life opportunities for the area youth to increase their social capital. This project is to not only enhance the community but also to give children a safe haven in the neighborhood.
The Lions for Hope Sports Complex will provide a safe place for the community to gather. Athletic fields will provide at-risk children the opportunity to participate in a variety of sports and extracurricular activities within their own community. Athletics and education come together by forming partnerships with local schools and community organizations to provide mentoring programs that encourage children to stay in school.
We will accomplish this by:
- Continuing our successful partnership with Chicago Hope Academy
- Providing a facility for the Noble Charter Schools and other Chicago Public Schools for their outdoor athletics
- Partnering with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago
- Providing a safe haven for youth in the neighborhood
- Offering summer and holiday camps/activities to provide safe alternatives to gangs and violence
- Developing a mentor program by partnering with existing programs and utilizing the CLCA network
- Develop a grassroots rugby pathway for the surrounding community headed by the Chicago Lions’ Director of Youth Rugby
- Dome revenues will guarantee the self-sufficiency of the complex and reduce reliance on annual fundraising